Intel® Z87 Express Chipset
The MSI OVERCLOCKING motherboards are designed based on four principles:
OC Certified is a military class burn-in test for motherboards. Running Prime95 for over 24 hours with a highly overclocked CPU is already a stressing endeavor, but removing all airflow from the motherboard ensures that only the best motherboards survive. If an XPOWER can survive this, it can survive any overclocking situation. The MSI Z87 XPOWER motherboards are equipped with all the necessary features to make sure you get the most out of your system. From the Enhanced PWM and Thermal Design that give you the best stability to all the easy features that ensure that you don't have to perform a lot of tricks to get great stability in your quest for performance.
Military Class 4 is the next step in high quality components. The DrMOS 4, Hi-c CAP, Super Ferrite Choke and Dark CAP will make sure that your PC runs more stable under extreme conditions.
DrMOS 4 is the next-gen Mosfet which is used to deliver the power for the CPU. MSI DrMOS 4 does not waste much power, stays cool and is more power efficient than other powersaving solutions. Because DrMOS 4 is a 3-in-1 chip it delivers much more power with less components needed. This solution gives you the power to break world records.
With their aluminum core design, Dark CAP's have been a staple in high-end motherboard design and provides lower Equivalent Series Resistance (ESR) as well as its over-10-year lifespan.
A Hi-c CAP is a very small, but super-efficient capacitor. Besides ensuring enough spacing around a CPU socket to install large coolers, it also allows for 93% energy efficiency. Thanks to Hi-c CAP`s MSI motherboards are the most energy efficient in the market.
Super Ferrite Choke uses a Ferrite core that is Super-Permeable. This allows the Super Ferrite Choke to run at a 35 degree Celsius lower temperature, have a 30% higher current capacity, a 20% improvement in power efficiency and better overclocking power stability.
The OC PCB used for the MSI OVERCLOCKING motherboards is a completely new design where 50% more layers are used. This allows us to optimize all traces for overclocking. Power and signal traces are isolated, resulting in higher efficiency and performance and more features can be installed relatively close to each other without causing interference. Every MSI OVERCLOCKING motherboard is tuned for better stability under extreme circumstances:
DigitALL Power digitally steers and receives feedback through a DigitALL PWM controller. This allows for pinpoint voltage delivery and lower power consumption. With the switch from analog feedback to digital feedback, you also have the opportunity to implement Load Line Calibration.
Besides inspiring visual awe the XPOWER Thermal Design was developed to deliver the highest cooling potential in the worst situation. Because it is optimized to work in low-airflow situations, it is the ideal cooling to use with your liquid cooling setup.
What is more frustrating than not being able to properly fit your cooling solution on your motherboard? Through the use of Military Class 4 components we can ensure that normal coolers can easily be installed and the motherboard can easily be insulated for extreme cooling solutions.
A small set of tools that are essential to get the best performance out of your motherboard. These features increase stability, assist in trouble shooting, allow you to keep your complete system in check and allow for simple management. This way you can keep your mind on overclocking.
A set of + and – buttons allows you to adjust your Base Clock in real time, even during benchmarking. The DirectOC software allows you to select 1 MHz or 0.1 MHz increments.
A true factory reset! Holding this button for 2 seconds completely wipes your motherboard from all settings. The CLR CMOS button only limits itself to the BIOS/VRAM but this Complete Discharge button even removes information from the Z87 PCH, a much needed button on the Z87 platform.
MSI OVERCLOCKING motherboards are equipped with advanced overclocking software tools to finetune even the smallest OC settings without requiring extra power from your PC.
This software gives you maximum control over your system whether it is the CPU, Memory, system clocks or monitoring system temperatures, voltages or fan speeds.
This lightweight overclocking tool doesn't need installation and doesn't occupy unnecessary system resources lowering system benchmark score. With a single mouse click you have access to the most important overclocking features.
MSI Command Center integrates an unlimited RAMDisk with the retail value of $35. With a RAMdisk you can create a virtual drive from your system memory enabling speeds 20x faster than a modern SSD. There are options to load complete game images, you can speed up your browser or your page file which increases your whole game system performance.
The MSI Click BIOS 4 is the latest UEFI BIOS with optimizations for Windows 8. Not only that it also reacts faster, runs smoother and has better mouse support. And this all comes with many cool features.
Hardware monitor allows you to take control of your system through Total Fan and check your primary system characteristics in an easy graphical interface.
This feature shows the user a visual representation of all the connectors of the motherboard and displays which devices are connected. In case of a device having a bad connection you can easily trace it with board explorer.
With OC profiles you an very fast switch between settings and you can save up to 8 profiles. In the blink of an eye, you can see the differences between your current system settings and any of the stored profiles.
MSI OVERCLOCKING motherboards feature one or more PCI-Express 3.0 slots, perfectly aligned and with enough space for an optimal airflow when using multiple graphics cards. That way, you will never have to worry about an overheating PC, while you are enjoying the best graphics jumping off from your monitor when running a NVIDIAR SLI? or AMD Crossfire gaming setup.
The Z87 XPOWER comes with a PLX-chip to enable 4-Way SLI / Crossfire. However in the situations that you only use one VGA card the PLX chip will some latencty. This is why thie Z87 XPOWER comes with a dedicated PCI-E x16 slot which is directly connected to the CPU bypassing the PLX chip giving you the best possible performance when using only 1 VGA card.
*There are 4 (2 front / 2 back) PCI-E signal switches for each PCI-E x8 lanes from the CPU.
To support 4-Way SLI / Crossifire the Z87 XPOWER is using the PLX8747 gen3 switch chip. This way you have the maximum available bandwidth needed in order to run your benchmarks and game with 4 VGA cards.
When you are overclocking with LN2 with 4 VGA cards it can happen that you want to remove one VGA card, however with the LN2 pot on their and all the insulation it is very difficult. With MSI CeaseFire is is very easy to disable one of the PCI-E x16 slots with a simple switch.
If you want to achieve overclocking records you also need fast memory. The XPOWER not only supports the new T-Topology architecture, it also works with the latest DDR3-3000 standards. This way you are ensured of the best memory performance.
Reward your ears with true quality. Get ready for ear-drum shattering sound, with MSI Audio Boost! With Audio Boost we're delivering the highest audio quality so you can enjoy crystal clear sound and music in games. Because the complete audio circuitry is isolated from other features, you'll enjoy less interference and more stability. The built-in headphone amplifier allows you to use studio-grade headgear and get the most amazing sound quality out of your gaming PC.
The Sound Blaster X-Fi MB3 suite is a powerful audio platform equipped with cutting-edge audio technology, offering premium audio quality, effects and features for ordinary PC systems equipped with only basic onboard audio. It features SBX Pro Studio? suite of technologies, which is designed to give you the fullest audio experience. For gamers, get ready to be blown away by the amazing realism from the unrivaled headphone surround and gaming sound enhancement technologies delivered by Sound Blaster X-Fi MB3. SBX Pro Studio? suite of audio technologies create unprecedented levels of audio realism, add dynamics and punch to every gunshot, explosion and gaming sound. It includes stunning surround effects, producing an incredibly realistic surround sound experience even from just a pair of stereo headphones.
Win battles with Scout Mode, a proprietary technology that allows you to hear your enemies from further away, as you get a definitive advantage in combat!
The OVERCLOCKING motherboards come with an easily unpluggable Intel® Wi-Fi / Bluetooth module which also supports Intel® WiDi. This way you can easy connect to other wireless devices in your home. The support of 802.11 b/g/n and Bluetooth 4.0 ensures that you have the fastest available transfer speed. With Intel® WiDi (stands for Wireless Display) and a WiDi receiver (not included) you can watch movies on your TV without the need for any cables.
We have implemented the revolutionary OC Genie 4 button with GAMING mode on our Overclocking motherboard series. Just press the OC Genie button on the motherboard and use the game switch and the system's game performance will be boosted.
Super RAID support gives you super fast loading times of your operating system or PC games. Now you won't have to wait endlessly on those annoying loadingbars to fill.
Entering a BIOS can be a frustrating job. Because nowadays motherboards boot lightning fast, we added the GO2BIOS button. Simply push it before you start or restart your system and you'll go straight to the system BIOS when your motherboard powers on.
Through the detection and prioritization of gaming traffic you can finally fully utilize your network without fear of being kicked from an on-line game because of high ping.
• 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7 / Core™ i5 / Core™ i3 / Pentium® /Celeron® processors for LGA 1150 socket
Please refer to CPU Support for compatible CPU; the above description is for reference only.
• Intel® Z87 Express Chipset
• Support four DDR3 DIMMs 1066/1333/1600/1866*/2000*/2133*/2200*/2400*/2600*/2666*/2800*/3000*(OC) DRAM (32GB Max)
- Supports Dual-Channel mode
- Supports non-ECC, un-buffered memory
- Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)
• 5 x PCIe 3.0 x16 slots (PCI_E1, PCI_E2, PCI_E3, PCI_E5, PCI_E7)*
- The operating mode will be x0/ x16/ x0/ x0/ x0, x16/ x0/ x0/ x16/ x0, x8/ x0/ x8/ x16/ x0 or x8/ x0/ x8/ x8/ x8.*
- Support for installing up to 4 PCIe x16 expansion cards
• 2 x PCIe 2.0 x1 slots
* For a single expansion card installation with optimum performance, using the PCI_E2 slot is recommended.
• SATAIII controller integrated in Intel® Z87 chipset
- Up to 6Gb/s transfer speed.
- 1 x mSATA 6Gb/s port*
- Supports six SATA ports (SATA1~6) by Z87
• SATAIII controller integrated in ASMedia® ASM1061 chipset
- Up to 6Gb/s transfer speed.
- Supports four SATA ports (SATA7~10) by ASM1061
*The SATA5 port will be unavailable when a SSD installed in the mSATA port.
** Supports Intel Core processors on Windows 7 and Windows 8.
- SATA1~6 ports support Intel Rapid Storage Technology enterprise (AHCI / RAID 0/1/5/10) by Intel Z87
• Intel Z87 Express Chipset
- 4x USB 3.0 ports (available through the internal USB connectors)
- 6x USB 2.0 ports (2 ports on the back panel, 4 ports available through the internal USB connectors*)
• ASMedia ASM1074 Chipset
- 8 x USB 3.0 ports on the back panel
* internal JUSB1 connector supports MSI Super Charger
• Realtek® ALC1150 Codec
- 7.1-Channel High Definition Audio
- Supports S/PDIF output
• Supports one PCI Express LAN 10/100/1000 Fast Ethernet by Killer® E2205 Gigabit LAN controller*
*The Killer Network Manager is only available for Windows 7 and Windows 8 currently. The supported drivers for other operating systems would depend on the vendor providing or not.
• Supports 4-Way AMD CrossFireTM Technology*
• Supports 4-Way NVIDIA® SLITM Technology
• Supports Lucid Virtu MVP 2.0*
*Supports Windows 7 and Windows 8.
Internal I/O Connectors
- ATX 24-Pin power connector
- 2 x 8-pin ATX 12V power connector
- 1 x 6-pin ATX 12V power connector*
- 2 x 4-pin CPU fan connectors
- 5 x 4-pin System fan connectors
- 10 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors
- 2 x USB 2.0 connectors (supports additional 4 USB 2.0 ports)
- 2 x USB 3.0 connectors (supports additional 4 USB 3.0 ports)
- 1 x Discharge button
- 1 x Multi BIOS Switch
- 1 x Front Panel Audio connector
- 2 x System panel connectors
- 1 x Chassis Intrusion connector
- 14 x V-Check points (7x V-Check connectors, 7x V-Check spots)
- 1 x Base Clock step swtich
- 1 x GO2BIOS button
- 1 x OC Genie button
- 1 x Reset button
- 2 x Base Clock control buttons
- 2 x CPU Ratio control buttons
- 1 x Clear CMOS jumper
- 1 x Power button
- 1 x OC Genie mode switch
- 1 x PCIe CeaseFire Switch
- 1 x 2-Digit Debug Code LED
- 1 x Wi-Fi/ Bluetooth module connector
* Provides additional power to PCIe x16 slots
Back Panel I/O Ports
- 1 x PS/2 keyboard/mouse combo port
- 1 x Clear CMOS button
- 1 x Optical S/PDIF-out port
- 2 x USB 2.0 ports
- 8 x USB 3.0 ports
- 1 x RJ45 LAN jack
- 1 x 6 in 1 OFC audio jack
- 1 x DisplayPort with max. resolution up to 4096x2304@24Hz, 2560x1600@60Hz, 3840x2160@60Hz,1920x1200@60Hz
- 2 x HDMI ports with max. resolution up to 4096x2160@24Hz, 24bpp/2560x1600@60Hz, 24bpp/ 1920x1080@60Hz, 36bpp
This platform supports dual-display and triple-display function
(Extend the desktop to the second and third monitor)
(Monitors have the same screen)
• The motherboard BIOS provides "Plug & Play" BIOS which detects the peripheral devices and expansion cards of the board automatically.
• The motherboard provides a Desktop Management Interface(DMI) function which records your motherboard specifications.
• 34.5cm(L) x 26.4cm(W) XL-ATX Form Factor
• 9 mounting holes.